London Mayor Boris Johnson’s awesome dance moves during the closing ceremony at the Olympic Games in August created the largest spike in Twitter conversation in the UK this year, the social media website has revealed.
In a year dubbed as the ‘year of sport’, and one which will surely go down as our generation’s 1966 moment, it will come as no surprise that sport discussions dominated the talk on Twitter.
Based on the number of tweets sent per second, seven of the top 10 most talked about moments of the year were related to sport, including the Olympics, Euro 2012, and Real Madrid’s defeat of Manchester City in this season’s Champions League campaign.
The other three slots in the top 10 were taken up by the UK’s most watched TV show, the X-Factor.
Here’s the list in full:
1. Olympics: David Cameron, Samantha Cameron and Boris Johnson dancing together at the Olympic closing ceremony
2. Euro 2012: England vs Italy, England lose on penalties
3. X Factor: James Arthur and Ella Henderson in bottom two, Ella voted off
4. Olympics: Bolt wins the Men’s 100 Metres Olympic final
5. Olympics: Mr Bean’s Chariots of Fire sketch in the Opening Ceremony
6. X Factor: Rylan and Kye deadlock
7. Euro 2012: England vs Sweden, Theo Walcott’s goal to bring England level at 2-2
8. X Factor: Gary Barlow storms off X Factor as Carolynne Poole was voted off in favour of Rylan
9. Euro 2012: England vs France, Joleon Lescott’s goal put England up 1-0
10. Champions League: Man City vs Real Madrid, Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal put Real 3-2 ahead, ultimately resulting in a victory